A fancy diet plan that promises drastic results in weight loss over a short span of time is called a fad diet. According to dieticians and doctors, this practice is not at all healthy and doesn’t offer a permanent solution to the weight loss dilemma people these days go through.
What to avoid?
It is best to avoid products and diet plans that promise you any of the following:
- Plans and products that claims they can help you drastically lose weight at a rate of about 1 or 2 pounds/week
- Claiming that it is possible to lose weight and stay in shape just by following the diet plan and consuming products and staying off the gym
- Restrains you from eating food for a more balanced nutrition
- Emphasizes on certain combinations of food. It is scientifically proven that eating certain kinds of food in a combination doesn’t promote weight loss
- Base their claims and so called results on photographs showing the typical before and after scenario
- Rely on endorsements from certain celebrity or existing clients for testimonials. Keep this in mind, they were offered money for their words
What to adopt?
To lose those extra pounds, consult with your doctor for a more effective, permanent, and long term diet plan. The following generic tips are to be followed daily to maintain your health as well as weight. Considering these can really prove to be beneficial for overall well-being.
- Don’t skip meals and always eat your breakfast
- Keep your food choices and preferences wide. This will ensure you are meeting your daily nutrient requirements
- Avoid trans fats and saturated fats altogether. Products made from hydrogenated oils such as baked goods. Go for the good fats such as the oily fishes from sea or fresh water sources
- Consume less sugar. These will help you to maintain a contoured body as sugar causes flabby and saggy physique
- Keep a check on the amount of calorific drinks such as cola, alcohol etc., instead, opt for fruit juices and keep yourself hydrated by drinking adequate amounts of water
- Lead a more physically active way of life and workout sessions or a trip to the gym in your daily routine. This will promote a healthy heart and it will boost immunity by keeping the circulatory system fit.
These days, the massive advertisement campaigns and brand positioning of certain fad diet products are controlling the minds of the people. It has become a trend to opt for the more ‘zero’ size physique, especially to the women’s section of the society.
They feel as if beauty lies in appearing slim and trimmed and for that, they would often opt for anything and everything! The organizations that make products for fad diet and also promotes the idea take advantage of this idea among the mass and position themselves and their products in the market despite the health risk factors involved.
These are more appealing to the fast moving lifestyle of people these days as it offers quick results with ease without going through rigorous workout sessions and hard work. Scientific research has proven the fact that most of the body weight that is lost during a fad diet routine is from loss of body water and lean muscle content, not body fat! It is advised to have patience if you want to lose weight on a permanent scale and want to retain the same without damaging your health and weakening the immune system. This can only be achieved if you opt for a healthy diet and active lifestyle with the inclusion of regular exercise.